Downsizing is a fact of life for many people these days.
It can beÂ a traumatic situation, so here’s some adviceÂ from Jim Henderson, president of William C. Huff Co., a moving and storage company.
- Start early. Once you’ve madeÂ the decision to sell,Â start the weeding and moving process. A side benefit is that this winnowing of belongings will make yourÂ home more attractive to buyers.
- Begin by eliminating things that arenâ€™t used frequently. Belongings that have been relegated to the basement, the garage or the attic are good candidates for sale or donation.
- Get the whole family involved. Asking grown children to take what they want can painlessly remove a significant portion of belongings.
- Digitize photos and other paper. Storing memories online can keep them safer longer as well as eliminate clutter.
- YouÂ may want toÂ consider including the furniture in the sale. This can expedite the transaction for both buyer and seller.
Bennington VT, SellingÂ