Â Itâ€™s that time of year when we all try to cut expenses where we are able. The U.S. Department of Energy offers these tips to keep Bennington, Vermont real estate owners warm and keep the cold cash in their pocket:Â Â
1. Plug air leaks with caulking, sealing, or weather stripping. Even insulating the electrical outlets can save money.
2. Make sure the furnace is serviced each year. The small cost of servicing will result in greater savings.
3. Install a programmable thermostat. Lowering the thermostat when no one is home can save up to 10% of your heating bill.
5. Insulate the attic. Â Heat rises – most real estate should have between R-30 and R-49 insulation in the attic. Go to www.eere.energy.gov/consumer for more information.
7. Welcome the sun. Open curtains to allow sunlight to naturally heat the home.
8. Find the star. Cut energy bills by up to 30 percent with Energy Star labeled products. Use compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) in place of comparable incandescent bulbs. Find stores at www.energystar.gov.
Â Making a home energy efficient can not only save you money but make your real estate more appealing to potential buyers. Call Troy Richardson for more ideas on how to get your home ready to sell!
Bennington VT, First Time Buyers, Environmental